Vocations, Careers and Vacancies

Current vacancies for paid Youth, Children's or Families Ministry Leaders:

Grovely Parish: Youth Ministry Leader (Last updated May 2019)

The pictures above are from a gathering of youth and families at Grovely recently, where young people were asked what they would like to see in their new Youth Ministry Leader! Could it be you or someone you know?

    Rationale More info

For more info on this position, contact the parish directly on 07 3851 0526 or email office @ grovelyanglican.org.au or call us at AYCF on 3514 7432.

Anglican Parish of Waterloo Bay: Youth, Children’s and Families Minister

The Parish of Waterloo Bay is keen to employ a Youth and Children’s Minister for initially 10hrs/wk (negotiable), leading youth groups on Friday night, spending Sunday mornings with older children and helping to lead Messy Church (8 times per year). Contact the Rev’d Scott Gunthorpe for more information on ph 3822 1110 or email: office(@) apwb.net

Some other Anglican parishes have alerted us to their willingness to employ a Youth and/or Children's and/or Families Minister in times to come.  If you would be interested in registering an Expression of Interest in a position like this, send your resume to Jonathan Kemp at jdkemp@ministryeducation.org.au today. All correspondence and conversations are kept strictly confidential.


If you are contemplating whether God may be calling you to an Ordained Vocation as an Anglican priest or deacon, start at www.anglicanvocations.org

The Bible is full of ordinary people…

God calls everyone to grow into the likeness of Jesus Christ. God calls us to speak of his love to others and to be an example of Christ.

God also calls some people into ordained ministry, as a deacon or priest. Is God calling you? The Anglican Church invites you to explore the opportunities of life in ordained ministry.

If you’d like to start making formal enquiries, send an email right now to the Reverend John Milburn, who is in charge of helping people to become Anglican deacons and priests.  John’s email is john.milburn@stjohnsbulimba.org or ring him on (07) 3902 1814.

Becoming a Youth, Children’s & Families Minister

If you are wanting to work as a ‘Youth Worker’ i.e. a Social Worker specialising in children or youth, we’d suggest you contact AnglicareSQ at https://anglicaresq.org.au/career/

But if you are feeling that God may be calling you towards a vocation in Youth, Children’s and Families Ministry (working in individual churches), and you would like to know more about becoming a professional Anglican YCF Minister, that’s great!

The first thing you should do is contact me, Jonathan Kemp, on (07) 3514 7432 or jdkemp@ministryeducation.org.au, so I can give you the most up to date information on what’s required and how many positions are likely to be available, etc.

Some parishes employ a full-time YCF Minister, but in most, you would be working on a part-time contract basis, usually for 7-15 hours per week, and very typically on Friday nights and Sunday mornings. You would need to think about the time involved alongside your other commitments.

A few more points to bear in mind:

·       You will need to be an active, communicant member of the Anglican Church of Australia. You will have been Baptised and Confirmed OR willing to be “Received” into the Anglican Church of Australia.

·       You should be 18+ and care deeply about the welfare and spiritual lives of young people.

·       You will need to hold or be eligible to hold a “Paid Worker” Blue Card (certifying your suitability to work with children). See the Blue Card site here.

·       You will also need to complete an Anglican Church “Safe Ministry Check” and have that cleared by the Director of Professional Standards; and undertake Child Protection and Professional Ethics Training (which is offered free).

·       If you pass these checks, you are eligible to be Licensed by the Archbishop as a “Stipendiary Lay (YCF) Minister” within a particular parish.

·       All paid Youth, Children’s and Families (YCF) Ministers are to be employed through the Diocese, rather than directly by a parish. This helps to ensure you are being paid the correct amount, that legislation is being met, etc.

·       To qualify for the top Band on the pay scale, ideally you would have completed some formal study in Youth/Children’s Ministry or Theology.

Internships (paid or unpaid) may be available - please ask. We also offer regular training and networking sessions across all parts of the Diocese, so keep an eye out for events happening near you.

There are more than 15 professional YCF Ministers working in the Diocese at the moment and it would be good for you to speak to one or more of them to get a feel for what’s involved - talk to me and I can introduce you.

So pray about it; think about it; and then give me a call.  I look forward to hearing from you.

What if I’m interested in being a Chaplain in an Anglican school in Queensland?

You will need to be licensed by the Archbishop of Brisbane and then employed by a particular school. You will usually need to be an ordained Anglican priest, so see all the info above. Info about our Anglican schools may be found here.

What if I’m interested in being a State School Chaplain?

Education Queensland’s current (state school) chaplaincy policy may be found here.

Scripture Union Qld is the accredited employing authority for most of Qld’s school chaplains. See https://www.suqld.org.au/services/chaplaincy/ for more info.